Re: Too close for comfort [NON ROCCO]

At 02:55 PM 10/3/00 , you wrote:
> > "Audi" is a brand.  "Volkswagen (or VAG, in this case)" is the company.
> > "Are we understanding this yet?
> > Jason
>
>I have to disagree here in particular.
>AUDI belongs to the Volkswagen company, that's correct.
>But Audi has different factories and what's more important
>different development-centers and their own engineers.
>(I know what I'm talking about because I'm in this business.)
>So an AUDI will be different from a VW, in quality and technic
>and this difference will get bigger than it was in former times.

Dirk,
         You do make a good point, but remember, VW and Audi share engines
and platforms, both of which are very important pieces of engineering.

         I'm not saying that you can directly compare VW and Audi vehicles,
but they, IMO, are different brands from the same company.  The only
exceptions to this rule, again, my opinion, is DaimlerChrysler and the
likes, because the mergers are too new.

         Saab and GM, Volvo and Ford, etc, are also too new to really share
any products... and may never.  However, in the case of VW and Audi,
they're two brands of VAG, aren't they?

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro