Re: smog/oxs update fundamental question

At 03:10 PM 10/3/00 , you wrote:

> > and put my heater hose back on to pass visual :)
>

>Can someone explain what the idea behind visual inspections for emissions
>control?  Cars emit fumes, so a nostril inspection would make sense, right?

hehe... kindasorta yeah.

The visual inspections usually verify that all emissions hoses (EGR hoses
and stuff) are hooked up, that the gas cap seals correctly, and that the
car has a visible catalytic converter.

>What difference do the parts you have on there make, so long as bad stuff is
>not coming out the pipe?

Good point.  However, they're also looking for hydrocarbons escaping from
the tank through means other than through the engine - i.e. broken hoses,
gas caps, bla bla bla.

Jason

>Dan Brideau
>http://www.hobbyetc.com/scirocco/