Re: Cooling System Problem

I just got my 1.8 back together, and I filled the motor with coolant. I
filled thru the top rad hose, then the overflow tank. Its got 1.5 gallons in
it, and I let it run for 30 minutes last nite thinking the thermostat would
open. I guess it never did, because the coolant never got pulled out of the
overflow. The thermostat is only about 6 months old, and it worked before i
tore the motor down. The motor didn't seem overheated after I ran it, but it
was hard to turn over with the starter. But it did start. My temp guage is
intermittently working so I can't tell how hot its getting. I have a surface
temp sensor, and pointed it at the top rad hose. it read 193 degrees. What
gives??? Anybody have any ideas?

TIA

John

----- End of forwarded message from Warren, John B -----

Whenever I do a thermostat replacement / coolent flush and fill I always drill
a tiny hole in the thermostat flange so that air can escape.   I have never
ever had a problem with trapped air or overheating.  Makes filling the car from
just the expansion tank work just fine.

==Brett