Re: 8v prices

>I got my '84 Scirocco with GTi engine
>( 1.8l - 1:10 compression, solid lifter, engine code DX )
>90.000 miles on it for $150.
>The GTi engine runs good, I like it much
>better than the usual JH,
>but gas per mileage is worse than on my 16v.

That engine is what the UK-spec injection sciroccos came with from about '83
onwards - you'll find plenty of them in the scrapyards over here.  We didn't
get the JH :). Mind you, we only got a few 16v sciroccos, left-hooker at
that :(
I'm surprised that you get better fuel economy from the 16v as everyone I
know who runs a 16v complains that the economy isn't as good as the 8v.
What do you get from it?  I have always got aroung 35mpg ( that's imperial
gallons, not US) both from my 1.8 8v and the 2.0L 8v which replaced it. By
my calculation, thats 4.78km/litre. Careful driving would probably push that
up a bit!

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8