fuel economy, was :Re: 8v prices

Hello,

having owned and driven a couple of Sciroccos
I made the following experience :

rank from best to worst :

1. 1.5l engine carburated with 1B3  :    7.5 l/100km
2. 1.8l 8v EX engine carburated with 2E2 : 7.8  l/100km
3. 1.8l 16v KR engine 140HP no cat : 8.5 l/100km
4. 1.8l 16v PL engine 130HP cat       : 8.7 l/100km
5. 1.8l 8v DX engine KE-injected (Scirocco)    : 9.5 l/100km
6. 1.8l 8v DX engine KE-injected (Golf GTi)    : 9.7 l/100km

Divide 283 by your l/100km and you get miles per Imp gallon
Divide 236 by your l/100km and you get miles per US gallon.

all my results are based on my long time records,
I have taken the average of all needed fuel and driven km.

it's striking that the PL16v needed more than my KR 16v,
I expected it to be vice versa as for the valve-timing,
the intake valves open earlier on the KR and should let more unburned fuel
into the already opened outlet valves. Well therory and real life...

We directly compared both 16v, Tina was driving behind me
with the PL for a 200km distance two weeks ago and again the KR needed less.

I'm very satisfied with the fuel economy of my 16v !

Greetings
Dirk

That engine is what the UK-spec injection sciroccos came with from about '83
onwards - you'll find plenty of them in the scrapyards over here.  We didn't
get the JH :). Mind you, we only got a few 16v sciroccos, left-hooker at
that :(
I'm surprised that you get better fuel economy from the 16v as everyone I
know who runs a 16v complains that the economy isn't as good as the 8v.
What do you get from it?  I have always got aroung 35mpg ( that's imperial
gallons, not US) both from my 1.8 8v and the 2.0L 8v which replaced it. By
my calculation, thats 4.78km/litre. Careful driving would probably push that
up a bit!

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8