Re: [mk2] steering gear problem

On Tue, 03 Oct 2000 00:49:03 -0400 "Foxx (in a box)"
<foxxinabox@core.com> writes:
>   well, after searching for what i though might be the problem, i'm
> back at square one. basically it boils down to this: a few months ago
> before i parked my '86, i had to hit the brakes fairly hard to avoid
hitting
> the stupid twitch in the bmw that cut me off (cell-phone, after work,
> you know the type). when i resumed my drive, my steering wheel was
> off center by about 15° or so. later on, due to another poor driver
(stay
> away from central ohio!!!) i jammed the brakes on again which
> more-or-less straightened out my steering wheel. nothing's bent below
> and the rack bolts are nice and tight. any other ideas? thanx.

It could be a bad outer tie rod end.

I had just got my '85 Scirocco aligned 2 weeks before, when I turned the
wheel and rev'd it up to about 5000 rpm and then popped the clutch out,
to smoke the tires and alleviate stress. After I did that the wheel was
cocked to the left. I couldn't figure out what happened, so I brought it
back to the VW dealer that aligned it and they told me it was a bad outer
tie rod.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"