Re: Power Locks

>I don't recall where I saw this thread before but....
>
>I remember reading about installing the power locks into a non-power lock
>VW.  I believe that the locks I have in my car are Auto loc or something to
>that effect.  I have no idea as they were installed by a PO.  My question
>is.... do I merely hook one wire to the ground and the other to the constant
>pos?  I remember reading that they needed to be relayed or something to that
>effect.  TIA
>
>Sal

It's a bit more complicated then that...yes you need a pair of relays that
essentially reverses the polarity to the lock solenoid...so that it
can reverse direction.  Text wise, here's how it's wired up (from my
alarm install guide, which is exactly how I did it):

Use two standard 4 pole bosch style relays.

* 12v+ to 87 of both relays
* 12v + to 86 of both relays
* 'lock' signal to 85 of  'lock' relay
* 'unlock' signal to 85 of 'unlock' relay
* 'lock' + from solenoid to 30 of 'lock' relay
* 'unlock' + from solenoid to 30 of 'unlock' relay
* GND to 30 of both relays

A diagram might be easier, but you'll get the idea if you just draw it
out.  Double check my work too. :)

later!

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net