Re: back home again

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000 08:40:25 -0700 (PDT) Mark Peele <type53@yahoo.com>
writes:

> Is the the exhaust piece that bolts to the cylinder
> head?
>
> AFAIK iron does not take to welding very well. The old
> "studs" can be removed, and replaced with new ones,
> but often a "machine" shop must do this. In the long
> run, I think you'll be better off replacing the
> offensive part.
>
> bis später,
>
> Mark

I agree that it is difficult to weld cast iron and that it is easier to
just replace the exhaust manifold,
but as far as the studs, they are easy to get out on a 16V.

They'll either come right out, or you can weld a nut on the stud and turn
it out.
I just did that on the manifold from my '87 16V, since the studs were
fubar'd.
It was amazing how easy they came off...

Now on an 8V US dual exhaust manifold, (psscchh) they are a pain in the
a$$.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"