16v smoking questions.

List,

The car in question is a 1.8 16v Jetta.  It smokes pretty bad.  I know that
most likely it is mostly leaking valve seals.  I don't think that it is bad
rings cause the car has lots of power, except for some times when it will
bog out pretty bad, but that is on and off so i think it is something else.
There is lots of smoke that comes out of the tail pipe, if i give the car
lots of gas, it barfs out like you wouldn't believe.  The spark plugs get
covered with a dry black coating quickly after being cleaned.

I think that i may be able to lean out the fuel mixture and get rid of some
of the smoke.  I already changed the downpipe and flex section, that helped,
but not much.  My question is, how do i lean out the fuel mixture? Or if it
sounds like something else thatn what?  Thanks

Jason Arms (Essex, VT)

'87 Scirocco 16v
'88 Jetta GLI 16v (New winter car)
'64 Sunroof Beetle (livin a new life)