Re: 16v smoking questions.

On Sun, 01 Oct 2000 17:17:57 EDT "Jason Arms" <redbug64@hotmail.com>
writes:
> List,
>
> The car in question is a 1.8 16v Jetta.  It smokes pretty bad.  I
> know that  most likely it is mostly leaking valve seals.  I don't think
that it
> is bad rings cause the car has lots of power, except for some times
when it
> will bog out pretty bad, but that is on and off so i think it is
> something else.
> There is lots of smoke that comes out of the tail pipe, if i give
> the car lots of gas, it barfs out like you wouldn't believe.  The spark

> plugs get covered with a dry black coating quickly after being cleaned.
>
> I think that i may be able to lean out the fuel mixture and get rid
> of some of the smoke.  I already changed the downpipe and flex section,
that
> helped, but not much.  My question is, how do i lean out the fuel
mixture?
> Or if it sounds like something else thatn what?  Thanks

Is the smoke black? Otherwise I wouldn't mess with the fuel mixture.

If you have gray smoke all the time, then it is probably the rings.
If you get smoke when you decelerate in gear, or upon startup, then it is
probably the valve stem seals.
To check the valve stem seals, do 60MPH or so in 4th, then let off the
accelerator, leaving it in gear, let it slow down and if you get a lot of
smoke, then they are bad.

Have you done a compression check?

HTH,
Peter