Re: [8v] exhaust upgrade questions

Oliver,
I am currently in the middle of upgrading my exhaust system on my 78
Scirocco, which will be finished tomorrow. I am upgrading to a TT 2" because
the PO put on a Euro manifold with a TT non-cat downpipe, Leistritz muffler
and no cat. Unfortunately I live in CA, So for smog I have to have a Cat. I
have a 2.5" universal free-flow cat and  went to my local muffler shop (which
a friend owns) and got the flanges that matched the size of my exhaust
flanges on the new exhaust and had them welded to each end of the cat. The
stock cat is 11.75" long (I measured at the dismantler today on a MKI and
MK2). I am running a JH also.
I would run the 2", but definitely get a bigger cat and a dual downpipe
manifold.
HTH
Masun Dixon
78 Scirocco