Re: [8v] exhaust upgrade questions

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:00:56 -0500 "RoccoPhil" <roccophil@mindspring.com>
writes:
> > I'm going to be going with a Techtonics system. I was originally
> going to go for 2" tubing, but now I'm thinking of 2.25", mainly
because
> I'm planning on upgrading the engine at some point in the future (most
> likely keeping it an 8V, but moving up to 2.0L and higher compression
> ratio).
>
> I've got a 8v w/ the 2.0" TT setup and I have some rubbing.  More my
> fault, but I know that the 2.25" is not recommended for the 8v because
you
> will have rubbing, for a certainty.  I am absolutely 50% sure of that.
> give it my unconditional maybe.  Actually, Peter?
>
> -PK

I hope not, since that's what I have for my '79...

Darrell at Techtonics recommends sticking with the 2" exhaust for most 8V
engines including 2.0L's with a mild cam.
Unless you have a ported and polished head with a radical cam, it's not
worth it to go with the 2 1/4".

As long as it has the straighthru muffler, 2" is plenty for an 8V.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84 Scirocco, RD/FF