A cure for the MkII blues.....

....buy a MkI!!!!!
Saw it in a used car dealers ad, went and looked at it last night (this
was at 9:30, dealership wasn't open, but the car was)
Here's what I know:
'81 Scirocco, VIN WVWCA0533BK020294, built Jan. '81
Mono wiper
153,598 miles
White with tan vinyl interior
CIS 1.6 8v (stamped 1.6 H on the head)
5 sp (tranny # 5F04120)

Various stuff:
The front of the engine is greasy and dirty, but looked okay (as far as
greasy engines go)
Both front fenders are mostly gone from behind the front wheel to the
front edge of the door (read: RUST)
Cluth and brake felt good, throttle stuck but came back up
All 4 corners creaked when I bounced on them, struts and springs felt
soft but it settled down, no bouncing
Minor little rust spots on the body, nothing major except for the
fenders
Stock 12 spoke MkI wheels w/ almost new tires (General XP2000, no
less!!)
Wolfsburg 3 spoke steering wheel
Fake wood trim strips on the dash
Windshield is cracked on the pasengers side
Dirvers side butt bolster is pretty shredded, rest of interior seems to
be okay
Front passenger side directional is broken, the rest of the
lights/lenses/grille/plastic seem to be okay
Factory Heidleburg (sp?) tape deck
Clock not working, the other gauge is missing
No drips under the car as far as I could tell

$495 on the window sticker

Well?  Whatcha think?  MkI owners, what should I look for/be cautious
about?  I know I'll do a compression test, and maybe even take it to the
local VW gurus and have them check it over, but I'm thinking since mine
is dying, this would be a good winter beater (if it runs okay and
doesn't have any problems).
Anyone?

Nate
'84 8v
{'81 8v}

How's that song go......2 outta three ain't bad?  Guess I need to shop
for a 16v next, eh?