Re: Fifth gear or no fifth gear

Adam Yagminas wrote:

>           Can anybody tell me why my engine runs at 90km/h in fifth gear at 3000rpm. my mechanic tells me this is too high and that I don't have fifth gear at all. If this is true then why do I have a slight drop about 400rpm between fourth into  fifth?
>
> Adam Yagminas
> 83 scirocco 8v

There are different trans axles with different gearing inside. Your
Mech. is right & wrong both- You DO have 5 gears, You DON'T have much
difference between 4th and 5th, therefore he is prob. thinking 4 plus
overdrive or something.

I'd educate him or get another mech., this type of communication would
drive me batty (oops, too late).

Get up under the car and wipe away the grease on the bellhousing of the
transaxle. It will have it's model number. Go to:
<http://www.scirocco.org> and click on the gears. (Thx Brett, et al!)

BTW- You can swap the 5th gear (with the trans still in the car!) for a
'taller' gear that will lower your overall revs when you are on the freeway.

hth,
TBerk