Re: Fifth gear or no fifth gear

On 27 Nov 2000 20:19:29 -0800 Adam Yagminas <ayagm@icqmail.com> writes:

>          Can anybody tell me why my engine runs at 90km/h in fifth
>gear at 3000rpm. my mechanic tells me this is too high and that I
>don't have fifth gear at all. If this is true then why do I have a
>slight drop about 400rpm between fourth into  fifth?

Since I don't know what tranny is in your car, ill guess that its a 4K
tranny. That said, the 3.94 final drive and the 0.89 5th gear is why it
zings so high while on the superslab. (I love Oklohoma'n terminology!)

Just my useless ASE certified experience talkin here but, your mechanic
sounds like he's rather ignorant as to what trannies DO and how they do
it. The bottom line is you have a 5th gear and its in a close ratio
gearbox.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' Scirocco<-- FREE to a good home!
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!