Re: idle click

In a message dated 11/23/00 8:05:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
scirocco@macslut.org writes:

<< when my idle intermitently fluctuates up and down, i hear a click sound
from
 under the hood on the passengers side.  I've located the "thing" that's
 doing it, but cannot find out what it is in my Bentley.  any ideas?

  Ex-wife's 84 Cabrio had the same problem. If it's the same thing that's
clicking, it's relay actuated air bypass that opens up when the idle drops to
around 750 RPM. After trying everything in Bently, Haynes (crap for repairs,
but good to take out your frustrations on), and the Idiot Book, I was lucky
to find Technical Information no. 87-07; Unstableidle/hunting-All 1.8L water
cooled engines, all m.y.
  *ahem*
   "Idle fluctuations or hunting can be caused by a vacuum leak in the air
shrouded injection system. Possible causes:
         -Distortd O Ring
         -Distorted or cracked plastic connecting flange
    Install white connecting flange, Part Number 049 103 499G, and green O
Ring, Part Number 026 103 487A.
  [ picture of exploded view of parts, flange fits to head between #3 and #4
injectors, secured by one bolt, be sure to remove the o-ring when pulling
flange, hell, replace the vacuum elbow that slip fits onto the flange just to
be safe]
   Production Change:

   Press fit steel pipe installed in place of plastic connecting flange as of:
            <cut>
      53GK009480 - Scirocco
            <cut>
  NOTE: Steel pipe used in production cannot be service installed. "

  Look over the rest of the vacuum connections first, then you might give
this a try.
Good luck!

Carl
77rocco