Re: Dashboard rattle

--- Aaron Aunins <aarons16v@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to the list...

Welcome!

> I have an 87 16V, and live in Richmond Va.  I've had
> the car for about two
> years and it has an extremely irritating rattle that
> seems to be coming from
> behind the instrument cluster.

A VW with a rattle?  I think not.  You must have
gotten a bad one.

> I think its the
> speedometer cable, so today
> I dis-assembled the cover under the cluster and
> pulled the cable taught with
> a piece of tape by pulling it downward.  I know this
> is not the right way to
> fix it, so if anyone has any hints as to how to fix
> it correctly I would
> appreciate it.

I would pull the cable taught with a piece of tape.
See if that works.

Good Luck,

Ron

PS...BTW, I've fixed many a rattle using some
combination of two-sided foam tape, thin shipping foam
or bubble wrap, and tie-wraps.  None of this is
elegant but it works!