Re: Dashboard rattle

--- Aaron Aunins <aarons16v@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to the list...

Hey Aaron - ya made it!  Comin' back to Cincy in the
spring?  :)

> I have an 87 16V, and live in Richmond Va.  I've had the
> car for about two
> years and it has an extremely irritating rattle that
> seems to be coming from
> behind the instrument cluster.  I think its the
> speedometer cable, so today
> I dis-assembled the cover under the cluster and pulled
> the cable taught with
> a piece of tape by pulling it downward.  I know this is
> not the right way to
> fix it, so if anyone has any hints as to how to fix it
> correctly I would
> appreciate it.

When was the last time the motor mounts (especially the
passenger side mount) were changed?  They're known to cause
a lot of the vibrations these cars get.

>      Also, I have been considering getting the neuspeed
> three guage
> instrument panel that replaces the ashtray. Does its
> installation require
> any cutting of the plastic behind the ashtray or does
> everything fit as is?

You will have to do some cutting, yes.  Also as suggested,
lister Greg Davis makes a superior gauge panel.  Check out
www.driversfound.com / e-mail him @ scirocco@iglou.com

=====
Daun Yeagley
'80 Scirocco S,
'82 Pickup
'85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v
'91 Passat
"Money doesn't buy you any friends, but it will get you a better class of enemy."