Fuel pump, relay, or WHAT?

Well, today she acted rather oddly.  I was afraid of this at some point...

STATS:

1985 Scirocco 8v, 245,000 miles, original fuel pump (gasp!), second fuel
pump relay (I think)... also, 36C-24-37 (see, almost perfect).

SYMPTOMS:

[Happened twice today, during same run]

1) Cruising at about 40mph (3rd or 4th; I think 3rd gear)..
2) suddenly tach drops from 3K to Zero, car decelerates simultaneously as if
I've downshifted..
3) then a quick **click, click** from what I think was the relay panel
(hence, the relay possibility)..
4) then tach's up to 3K again and we cruise on....

Strange.

Earlier, she had stalled at a stop after about 2-3 minutes of running (it's
about 30 degrees out, but no issue here, I believe).
Would not restart (strong ignition).  I was sure it was the pump.  Coasted
her back and against the curb as I thought things over, took a long drag on
my (Tootsie Pop - Raspberry flavor), scanned around the area for miscreants
and deviants who might pose a threat to her should I have to abandon her...

No, seriously, as I sat there thinking a bit about what I was going to do,
about 2-3 minutes passed.  Before heading out into the cold, I reflexively
gave it one more attempt.  BAM!  She ran fine until I got to my next
client's place.  Then after that, on the way home the above bucking/stalling
symptoms occurred.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO........................

What the hey is it?

I imagine I know what I'll be doing tomorrow...

-PK

PS> Still, 245k out of ONE fuel pump.  There should be a Bosch Hall-of-Fame
or something... :-)