Dashboard rattle

Hi, I'm new to the list...
I have an 87 16V, and live in Richmond Va.  I've had the car for about two
years and it has an extremely irritating rattle that seems to be coming from
behind the instrument cluster.  I think its the speedometer cable, so today
I dis-assembled the cover under the cluster and pulled the cable taught with
a piece of tape by pulling it downward.  I know this is not the right way to
fix it, so if anyone has any hints as to how to fix it correctly I would
appreciate it.
     Also, I have been considering getting the neuspeed three guage
instrument panel that replaces the ashtray. Does its installation require
any cutting of the plastic behind the ashtray or does everything fit as is?

Thanks