Steering is a little loose/vague, ?????????????

Ok, when I am driving in a straight line I can turn the wheel back and
forth a few inches with no direct response.  Once if started a turn the
vagueness is gone, until I start to go back the other way, and even then
just a few inches of turning the wheel.  So at highway speeds it feels a
little squirrely.  I checked the tie rod ends, control arm ball joints,
strut bearings, and PS rack mounts and everything is fine.  So now what?
On a (maybe related)note there is a little clunking to the steering linkage
in the passenger compartment, when going over large bumps.  I did look at
the U joints and they seems fine too?  Not sure where to go with this now.
Hopefully it's not the rack itself that is bad.  Any thoughts and ideas
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John C. Worden
Wayne, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-Overdrive is finished
'86 Scirocco 8V- Alternator dying
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V - Needs an oil pump gear