(non-roc) The $500 Passat - epilogue

As some of you recall, I picked up a Passat *dirt* cheap a
couple weeks ago with the intent of using the engine for my
'88 16v.  The car had a rust-free and straight body, good
interior, an auto-tranny that wouldn't shift, and
electrical gremlins galore.  Here's what I've discovered:

-90% of the electrical problems were traced to a bad
ignition switch.  No more separate switch to turn on the
fuel pump and not having those "wonderful" automatic
seatbelts.

-The other 10% - tranny stuck in 3rd - was traced to two
broken wires in the wiring harness that connects the
solenoids inside the transmission with the outside of the
transmission case.  Rebuilt the harness, and now the car
shifts through the gears on its own.

As it stands, I still have well under $600 into it, and
it's shaping up to be a pretty nice car.  So the search
continues for a suitable engine donor.

=====
Daun Yeagley
'80 Scirocco S,
'82 Pickup
'85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v
'91 Passat
"Money doesn't buy you any friends, but it will get you a better class of enemy."