Re: TDC

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 03:03:52 -0600 FreshApple <freshapple@mac.com>
writes:
>Does anyone know when the block and tranny are set to zero?  I have
>the
>head off and was wondering if, when the #1 piston was all the way
>up/down, is the tranny at zero, so I can remove it.

2 ways.

1) pull the #1 spark plug and take a peek. See the top of the piston? To
get exact TDC lightly insert a long screwdriver while rotating the
crankshaft. you will feel the piston rise or fall. Adjust it until the
piston is at the highest point.

2) Rotate the crankshaft slowly until you can see the zero timming mark
line up with the pointer on the bell housing.

If your removing the tranny, it really doesnt matter where the piston
sits.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V <--NEW
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!