Re: stripped CV bolts (any ideas)

I wouldn't use a hammer at all.  Smacking the bolt heads will transfer to the
bearings in the diff. and that is not a good thing.  Just use a pair of
vice-grips(as big as you can get in there) and a penetrating oil from the
other side(flange side).  Heating the head of the bolt is useless because the
bolts are so long and they go through such a massive piece of steel, there
would be no heat getting to the threads.  You'll melt or damage everything
around it before you get enough heat in there.
After you get them out, replace them with metric 6 point socket head bolts.
Get the highest grade, the markings on the head should have "12.9" stamped
somewhere on it.  I've had these for years with no problems.  You should be
able to find them at a good hardware store.
GL.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner