Re: 1.8T conversion

At 5:08 PM -0800 11/15/00, T Berk wrote:
>As for the 1.8t into the Mk1-
>
>Reasons to do it: NEW engine. Strong NEW engine. 100K-200k, ??? without
>major problems, considering it's not tweaked to the max.
>
>Strong dependable power on tap. Gets groceries, runs the interstate A to
>B, carves up canyon roads. What's not to like.

Exactly... we're talking about a baseline 150hp-155ft/lb  motor with WICKED
power characteristics and factory driveability.  Even Kelly's Scirocco,
which is pushing 230-some hp at the wheels, starts up and idles perfectly,
immediately, every time.  Around town, it drives just as well as my car
(except for the manual steering rack :P ).  I'm pretty confident that a
stock 1.8t in a Scirocco will smoke every built 2L car on this list (no
NOS, dale!)... and I'm not willing to say exactly how much $$ is sitting
under my hood, but it's definitely enough to get me thinking about why I
didn't save it all and then spend that couple grand more on the 1.8t.

Best bang for buck?  Definitely not, unless you aspire to 220+ hp.  If you
want more than that, it's pretty much the only game in town...  ;)