Re: 1.8T conversion

Benjamin Harder wrote:

> I have been following this thread and thought that I would do
> my best to summarize what I have read and to try to ask a few more
> question...please add to this...
>
> Goal:  To install a stock 1.8T motor into a mk1 (or mk2) Scirocco.
>  Once you have the engine installed the potential is big, but let's
> just figure out the *basics* of getting the engine installed and
> operational...
>
> >From what I have gathered,
>
> -The engine needed would be a non DBW (Passat or A4) and will physically
> fit using the stock motor mounts.

I _think_ at least ONE mount will still need to be fabricated. The major
benefit is not the mounts but the throttle is cabled as opposed to the
'fly by wire' throttle in the current cars.

> -A custom downpipe is needed to relocate the turbo and to fit the a1
> chassis.
> -A beetle intake manifold is needed...?
>
> Now for my questions...
> -Can the stock fuel pumps be used...?

Maybe but I'd think an uprated model would be a good idea. Perhaps
grafting a pre pump onto the Mk1. Need flow rates demanded by boosted engine.

> -would you have to re-route the main fuel line?

Adaptive fuel line section to tget it from current location to new
location, don't think rerunning the entire thing is ness.

> -would a 16v radiator be suficient for the cooling needs?

I think you would want to use an A2 radiator- good cooling, doesn't need
16v upper hose ($$$), retains overflow jug.

> -would you need a custom intercooler?
> -is a custom oil cooler *needed*?

Intercooler should not be _requiered_ if not tuned to high, but is recommended.
Oil cooler need not be custom, but is mandatory, would incorporate one
with thermostat.