sway bars / stress bars

OK, so there are front and rear sway bars available for my car (mk1 Scirocco), as well as front upper and lower stress bars and rear stress bar. My questions are, 1. Which mk1s came with sway bars stock?, and 2. Which of these items are definite "must haves" and which are "could do withouts"?, and 3. If you had to put these in the order in which you would buy them, what order would that be?

Thanks,
Todd

PS I have a used lower front stress bar coming, I don't have the rest.