Re: 1.8T conversion

> First, Ron is not the most reputable source of
> motors in town.  He has been
> known to sell incomplete and/or broken motors in the
> past.  I don't know if
> he does it intentionally, but I do know that he
> doesn't do much to check
> into the condition of the motors he sells.  Nobody
> does, really, but don't
> assume his claims about the condition and history of
> this motor are true.

I know Ron doesn't work for RPI anymore (right) but I
have my .02 to add.  If I were planning on doing a
1.8T swap, I would want to pick the motor up in
person.  Period.  I have a little story to help
illustrate my point.   I have a friend who was looking
to swap a 1.8t into his A3 (8v 2.slow) gti.  He calls
RPI to get a quote.  They quoted him $4500 US for a
complete swap from a 8k miles golf 1.8t (engine code
AWD), with a chip, shipped.  My friend decides to do
it.  I thought the price was on the high side but
since it was a practally engine it might be worth it.
Anyway, the motor arrives.  We open it up are are
immediately unimpressed buy the way it was shipped.
What a mess.  So we begin to sort things out.  We
inspeced the motor and it doesn't look like exactly
what we wanted.  It looks older than 8K miles.  We do
a little research and the motor is from a beetle (not
what my friend ordered) and thanks to dealer records
and carfax the car had AT LEAST 15K miles and that was
9 months before.  Probably looking at 30K now)So what
they sold my friend was clearly not what he had
ordered.  My friend immediately put a dispute in wiht
the credit car company and called RPI to give them the
WTF is this speach.  They apologise for the error,
(probably having never seen the motor) and agree to
pay shipping back and send him another.  So my friend
has to pack up the motor and get it ready to send
back.  They send him another (I can't imagine the
amount $$$ of shipping they ate up).  The whole point
of this is the company could have saved themselves a
whole lot of hassle if they had:
1. got the order right the first time
2. actually looked at what went out the door
So my advice to those looking to do conversions is to
shop around.  I would much rather pick up my motor in
person than have to fight with a company you just gave
$4500 to.  RPI did take car of thier problem but what
a mess it was.  My friend would never have walked out
of the salvage yard with the other motor for the price
he was going to pay.
It is hard to take a company seriouly that charges
$1000 for a 2.0 16v USED short block!
I'll step off my soap box now.

Tony