Re: 1.8T conversion

In a message dated 11/1/00 10:27:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
bhonnold@pac-cap.com writes:

Not to burst your bubble here......but a 1.8T conversion IMHO isn't worth
the effort.

By the time your done, keeping in mind the hidden factors, your at $10,000+
Canadian and you have 150HP.

I agree,...the 1.8T is one of the worst in terms of power per dollar.

Drop another $250 for a chip and you get to 200 HP.  At 200HP the MkI
chassis twists into a pretzel, so you'll need a roll bar or at the very
least, every stress/swaybar made and reinforcement to the front crossmenber.
Not to mention tranny work and a pile of spare driveshafts and CV joints.

Which part do you see as being a problem? Relistically, I can only put down
that kind of power in a straight line, and it doesn't seem to flex at all.
The back just squats down, and it goes. I the time where I think axles are
the biggest problem is when you are using a stock differential which really
only puts the power to one wheel, or when you're driving on washboard roads.

The next step into real HP from a 1.8T is very expensive, upgraded KKK turbo
or a good T3 and bigger turbonetics or ATP manifold will run you $1500+.
Then you'll want to upgrade the puny stock intercooler, and probably add
boost control and larger injectors.......now your getting closer to $15,000

For about $5000 or less you could do up a custom 2.0 16v turbo, or very nice
8v turbo....and get to 200HP.

300hp+ is definitely doable with 8 valves.

Forced induction is a sickness for which there is no cure.

Brian H

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - uh.....
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)