Engine Designations

Reading through the posts I often come across
refernces to engines which I don't know. I know of the
VR6, the G60, but when someone writes about a JH
(?)engine for instance, I don't know what they're
talking about. Except for the list, I live in a
scirocco and VW void. Other VW drivers I know aren't
the type to get into the greasy details of their cars.
I was like that when I first got into sciroccos, but
things are different now. So is there a place I can
get this information? I was looking through an old
copy of Greg Raven's book on Volkswagen performance.
There you find this chart with all these engines from
a 73 Audi 80 GL to the
87 Scirocco 16v. There is a column called codes, and
you get things like FC, HT, and RD. Is this the right
place? I stongly suspect this chart isn't complete.
Also, I would be interested in types of
transmissions...

Jorel Jackson

87 16v & 85 8v Sciroccos