Rocco in Singapore

Hi list, here is the deal.  I am trying to ascertain exactly what I have under
the hood  - who knows what was put in there in the 18 years prior to me owning
the car.  The car is registered as a 1.6 8v Gti but I want to make sure.  The
engine code is EG 1388.  I have tried to find out the specs in the various lists
at scirocco.org etc.  but without any luck.  Are these lists in respect to US
imports only? If anyone can let me know exactly what I am running under the
hood, I would be grateful.

I am also seriously considering the Autotech 5th gear conversion. My tranny code
is FM and scirocco .org puts that as a close ratio gearbox .75 5th.  Is the
Autotech conversion kit suitable for the tranny i have and if not I assume the
only other option would be to change the whole tranny in which case what should
i be looking for?

james