Re: Understeer

Thanks for that lot Scott
I think my alignment may well be out on the passenger side (your drivers
side) as this is the side closest to the kerb and over here it sees a lot of
pothole/drain action. What concerned me is that it tracks nigh on straight
pulling slightly to the left but this can be explained by the camber of our
roads to allow draining.
However for left handers there is no problem at all so why I am i only
understeering on right handers?

Could my wishbone bushes degrading over time be causing this - The car
already has a slight shimmy mid corner which somebody told me was the
wishbone bushes, especially the rear one breaking down

So would you recommend something like Eibach ARB's being thicker than
standard.

I've tried just about every setting for the Koni's and on track i found the
soft front/ hard rear seemed to provide the best grip/traction. Certainley
with it set like this I knocked over a second of my previous laps. I am
wondering whether making the front harder will lose me traction. Will
thicker Arb's allow the improved turn in feel whilst allowing me the
traction of a soft front set up. Ideally I wish to leave the rear hard so
that under acceleration the car stays planted rather than do the speedboat.

Come off the gas - Say what!!!!!

Seriously this is a problem that has manifested itself over the weekend. The
car has always been understeery but by driving it in a manner you suggest
you can drive around it but at the moment no matter how slow your entry
speed right handers are now BAD NEWS.

Now i wish to cure the immediate problem of bad right handers and then
"cure" the overall understeer to point where I don't have to allow for it as
much.

Would an improved lower struut brace - mine is two point only - help me such
as a triangulated one and an upper strutt brace and even a rear upper brace.

What you suggest driving wise is already the way I play including left foot
braking as I've had plenty of practice in 3 1/2 years of owning the car and
a season of track days. Left foot braking took some getting used to
though!!! Perhaps i'm just piling inn too fast ;-)

Andy
91 Scirocco Scala

http://profiles.msn.com.