Re: Understeer

Andy Holmes wrote:

> Bad, bad understeer on right handers and round - abouts but fine on left
> handers.

How is your alignment, Andy? That's where I would start tuning. Assuming that
nothing is bent, set it it -1.5 to -2deg camber, 0 toe and see how that
feels. Putting the battery in the boot (on the passenger's side) will also
greatly help.

> Also how do you dial out the overall understeer happiness of the Roc.

Increase your roll stiffness front *and* rear. Yes, stiffening the front
sounds counter intuitive but you need to eliminate the camber change up
there. Try temporarily running your Konis at a stiffer setting up front. If
you notice any improvement at turn-in then that's probably a way to go. More
roll stiffness in the rear is definitely a must, though. I use 19mm front/
25mm rear with typical lowering springs front and rear.

You also want to adjust your driving style. Come off the gas as you enter the
turn. Feed it a little break as your nearing the apex. That is usually enough
to neutralize the handling. Left foot braking is another option. HTH!
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!