Re: *sigh* another hard starting problem...

 I've had\have the same problem.  As you probably know the bentley trouble
shooting guide says cold-start valve, thermo-time switch, and/or
fuel-pump.
I would add the fuelpreasure regulator, and the auxilary air regulater.  I
pulled a fuel regulator off a jetta at a junk yard, and now my car starts
fine when it is really cold, and when it is warm.  The problem now is the
air regulator isn't openning all the way, so the car won't start good
when it is kinda warm (after sitting for 1 to 5 hours). According to the
Techtonics
catalog the thermo-spring in the air regulator wears out, so you gotta
replace it to get a good idle when cold. I pulled my air
regulator and saw that the valve wasn't open.  I threw it in the freezer
for a bit and it opened most of the way, but not enough.  So I'm orderring
a new one and hoping I'll have a good-starting car.
The vw technical FAQ has a big section on this problem.  Check it out at:
http://www.landfield.com/faqs/autos/vw/