Pulley won't come off

Car...1978 VW Scirocco.  Problem....there is a free spinning pulley that I
believe just helps to keep the A/C belt in line between the compressor and
crank.  There are no bolts on this pulley.  No nuts on this thing.  Just
looks like it is pressed on.  I have never seen one like this at all.
Anyway,....I was just going to change the water pump today and realized that
I needed to remove this pulley in order to get the cam cover off to get to
the bolts for the water pump.  Nothing in any Bentley from the '76-'78 book
or the '79-85 book.
Any help is appreciated...Thanks,
Chris