Update on my tranny problems

Well....Thanks for everyones input on my problem

I have decided to replace the tranny, I think it is shot.  I
did the tranny fluid and drove the car a little bit.  now it
is worse.  I still can't get into gear.  When the clutch pedal
is depressed, the car idles fine, but now the car moves when
it is in neutral when the clutch is out, and when I put it in
gear, the car feels like the  brakes are stuck on (but they aren't)
and it won't let me move, and will stall out when I try to move
it.

I will be towing the car home to Barrie (I finally get some use
out of my CAA membership) and changing the tranny with a spare
from an 85 gti that I have for parts.  Anything I should know
before I swap the new one in?  I've never done any tranny work
before.

TIA

Casey
84 Roc