Re: Lightened flywheels?

This is my understanding of this topic. If you have better information
please add or correct me. I claim to be no expert.

A wheel is challenged by angular acceleration. Angular acceleration is
different from linear acceleration. Linear is like sliding
down a ramp in that the starting acceleration is overcome and from that
point on the mass
is in a state of linear movement or consistent acceleration. friction or
drag will prevent the acceleration to continue at some point.
 A wheel that is turning is in a state of acceleration all the time even if
it is spinning at a steady RPM because the mass is moving at an angle.
The mass wants to spin out but the wheel pulls it around. This rotating
requires energy or power. Less mass takes less energy to move. More mass
that is in motion will decelerate over a longer time than less mass. A heavy
flywheel
is designed to prevent the motor from stopping during deceleration and to
store energy for launching the car off the line.
A heavier flywheel will make the motor run smoother. A lightened flywheel
should allow the motor to achieve a given RPM in a shorter time and require
less energy to achieve this RPM however because less energy is stored in the
flywheel the power
will not be transferred to the wheels in a standing start as fast. Will you
see more HP with a lightened flywheel?
I don't think you will see much (you should see some) but the motor's
acceleration when the car is moving will be faster. It is a good Idea to
lighten the car
when you lighten the flywheel. This way you will have less mass to launch
off the line with the less stored energy that you would have
had with the heavier flywheel. A car is a system, don't forget that if you
change one thing it may affect another thing that you may not want changed.
The motor should not last as long with a lightened flywheel and if your
bearings are worn-out you will notice it sooner.
A lightened flywheel is best used for short racing where power is everything
but not drag racing from a standing start.
This is why it is not recommended to reduce your flywheel on a bone stock
16v (16vs are dogs off the line until they can get more air).
An 8v that is stock will benefit from a lightened flywheel more than a bone
stock 16v IMOH.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX" Stock Flywheel
81 8v red Scirocco "S" lightened Flywheel
90 16v 2.0 wht Passat wgn 5 speed Stock Flywheel
http://www.scirocco2.de/doug.htm
http://www.scirocco2.de/doug16v.htm
http://www.scirocco2.de/dougmk1.htm
http://www.scirocco2.de/design.htm