Re: Steering Rack Boot questions

In a message dated 11/3/2000 2:47:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
scirocco@macslut.org writes:

<< 1) Uh, is that true?
 2) can i do anything to prolong its life?
 3) boot has been fixed, will that take care of (b) for awhile?

 I'm having no problems with my steering at all, so i'm not really worried,
 but the thougth of doing a rack job doenst make me happy.  >>

I had ripped PS boots when I got my car.  Mech. said don't bother changing
the boots because its a big job and damage has prob. already been done to the
rack and one day it will blow and will need a new rack anyway. 2 years later,
PS fluid pissed out of the rack one day.  One day it was fine, the next day
it was pissin like an elephant.  I choose not to do the job myself because I
was at school with no tools and it is a big job because you have to remove
the manifold.  380bucks and a day later had a new rack.  It was the most
money I have had to spend on the rocco. Not bad for a 13 year old car.  Good
luck

Brian 86 16v
http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html