Re: Steering Rack Boot questions

>From: Richard Pizzulo <pez18@zebra.net>
>
>I would just drive until you have a problem if it feels fine.

Rick, you're not a believer in preventative maintainance, are you? :-)
Seriously, it would be a lot cheaper to fix the boot now, and deal with what
minimal damage has been done, than to wait until it craps out, and pay $380
or something. Hell, that's a really nice 8V cam, if you think of it that
way. Or a nice set of performance tires. A boot is what, $20 plus your time.
But that's my own twist on things, and justification for obsession
(according to the GF)

>On a similar note I get some weird clunking sounds sometimes when turning,
>and I feel a sort of bump in the steering when cranking the wheel.  It is
>manual steering, any ideas what may cause this?  Possibly bad bushings
>holding the unit in place?

Most likely, yes. Do you have a problem with your car going into reverse
instead of 1st when your wheels are turned way left? On my 85 I had a clunk
like you describe, and the shifting issue as above. Got poly replacements
and noticed that the stock ones were thrashed. A leaky drive flange seal was
mostly to blame, and the heat from the downpipe.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0
78 Scirocco 1.8