Re: Steering Rack Boot questions

Back in the days before I took my Scirocco to people who only worked on
VW's, I had a torn steering boot replaced at an alignment shop.  So after
the boot was replaced, the rack started leaking BAD.  I couldn't really
prove that the leak was the fault of the alignment shop, so I paid $450 for
another rack to be installed (at a VW shop this time.)  The line I got from
the alignment shop was that the rack seal must have been seeping some and
when the dust boot was replaced, it caused some backpressure on the seal
which caused it to fail.  I'm still not sure that I buy that story, maybe
someone else can prove or disprove this hypothesis.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition

http://profiles.msn.com.