Steering Rack Boot questions

while underneath doing my strut work i noticed my steering rack boot was
torn, so replaced it and noticed some seepage.  my mechanic told me on the
phone its no big deal, should be good for a year or two.  I'm just
wondering:

1) Uh, is that true?
2) can i do anything to prolong its life?
3) boot has been fixed, will that take care of (b) for awhile?

I'm having no problems with my steering at all, so i'm not really worried,
but the thougth of doing a rack job doenst make me happy.  I really envy you
guys who know all this shit already - as an novice/intermediate fix it guy
with no garage, I reach a level of frustration with my piece of shit - I
mean my lovely '84 Dream Car.  :-)

well its the best car I own.

thanks

Greg