Sometimes it just pays to get under and look.

So im driving up north from San diego to Orange county for some
visitation of sorts. About 104 miles into my trip, I notice a big Nascar
like plume of smoke comming from under my car. Right away I check the
gauges, everything checks out fine so I kill the motor, coast to a stop.
(Hoping that if its an oil cooler leak I can coast long enough to let
stuff cool so it don't burst into flames as I stop. You know the deal.)
So now im stopped, pop the hood and take a look. No smoke. No obvious
leaks. Nothing dripping below the car. I fire it back up and it runs
fine, revs fine, no new smoke and nothing leaking. WTF?!
Maybe I picked up alot of dust while driving in the car pool lane and
perhaps there was also glare off my side mirror which make me think I was
smoking??? Hmm. Drove the rest of the way and back, and another month and
a half without a problem. Ive picked up a little vibration at speed,
probably a wheel imbalance. No big deal. End chapter 45.

Welp, today was the big day that ive been dreaming about for the last 5
years. Today I finally got to install a freshly built Quaife equipped 2H
tranny. I get under the car to remove the passenger side axle bolts and
holly crap!! There aint no friggin inner CV boot!! I mean, there's a
couple little pieces left but beyond that, NADDA! That explains the
smoke! Im freaked.

So I send a friend out to get a new inner CV boot while I plod on with
the tranny swap. Took me a total of 2.5 hours to swap one tranny for
another, replace the passenger side CV boot and clean and repack the CV.
Plus I found that my downpipe had 3 nuts that were loose on the manifold.
(Leaky exhaust. Heard it, couldn't find it. Now I know.) I guess its been
a while since ive looked under there and nutted & bolted everything.

Feels really good to feel like ive gotten alot done in those 2 and a half
hours.

And the Quaife?? Oh my gawd what a difference! Life just got better. Hope
yours did too.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V <--NEW
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!