Was: 1.8T conversion Now: MkI options.

>From what is floating around out there the best and least expensive way to
amp up the fun factor on a MkI is to swap in the crossflow motor and use
OBDI engine management.  Get a hot cam, 2.25 exhaust, headers, and a chip.

With a reasonable amount of headwork this combo can make 140-150+ HP and can
be done under $2500.

Nate Pierce did this in a MkII and it Rocked.

If that's not enough, the low boost turbo setup from 8vturbo.com will set
you back another $1500 and get you to 175+HP.

There are tons of options out there.  It's all a matter of money and
motivation.  Some of us prefer to DIY and learn as much about these cars by
trial and error as we can.  Others will plop down the green and drive away
with a smile, not giving a shit why it all works.

There is no best way to modify a MkI.  Just treasure it and smirk at those
poor bastards who are limited by the narrow view of their square headlights
:-)

Brian