Re: fire

CLaYpOoLME@aol.com wrote:

> hello peeps
>
> just had a small fire in the roc today. ......I
> still love this car~!
>
> help me
>
> rob murphy

Rob,

The headlight switch (with it's dimmer mech.) gets funky and does
exactly what happened to you- most of the times it just melts the switch
though. One of the good things to come from relaying even stock lights,
is to take the load off the switch, running just enough current through
the switch to run the relay, letting the relay handle the higher wattage
from Alt/ Battery to lights and back to ground.

Call the stealership but I'll bet you can get a NEW one from Potter. I'd
think to run new wire from the new switch as the existing stuff is
compromised. Once it's toasted a bit the metal gets fatigued, more
importantly the insulation gets brittle. Sooner or later it will short
to ground and your back to toasting marshmallows with the Roc.

New Dimensions makes some Massive OverKill wiring looms, you might not
want to spring for them but if you search the site you can get some
inspiration for your own setup. Large to med gauge wire from Battery to
relay (in line fuse!) to Lights to ground, med gauge wire from relay to
switch to fuse box to ground (duplicating the existing wires).

hth,
TBerk
Kinda bad when Pop's engine catches on fire and the hood kept the rain
from the engine bay. :)