Re: Dreadscott's Roccin' road rally

Feenix wrote:

> Sounds cool but Im kind of unsure exactly how this works. Also is this
> going to be on closed roads, and legal?

-open roads and completely legal. To minimize risk this would be held out on
twisty backroads where the police and residential poplulations are extremely
sparse.This would be a casually run TSD road rally. That is, a
time/speed/distance event where one must follow a mapped out "course" over
public roads and clock into checkpoints at unspecified intervals.

The object is to get there *on time*. A minute early is the same penalty as a
minute late. This requires that the driver and navigator team pay very careful
attention to staying on course and at the indicated speeds. Get lost and
you'll have to make up time. Catch someone and you'll have to wonder whether
they are late or you are early. It gets pretty crazy; believe me! The rules
impose a natural restriction on the speeds but to be competitive you'll
usually have to drive briskly.

I'd arrange a mid-day lunch break at a pizzeria or something and allow say...
25 minutes to eat. Theoretically, crews would start arriving and then depart 1
minute apart from each other. I imagine a pretty colorful scene with everyone
comparing notes, tall stories, and then each frantically scooting off for the
twisties again. :^)

At the end of the event, the team with the least amount of penalties (that's
"road points" in rallyspeak) wins and takes home some kind of prize. Not
everyone is into driving; some like to sit and shine and there's nothing wrong
with that. However, this would certainly be a *driving* event with a few hours
behind the wheel.

P.S. I'd like to run two categories of competition: an overall best team award
and then the European cars vs. American vs. Japanese! I've been talking to
some of my racing buddies, too. If we do this we could expect a few very
impressive racing/rally cars to exhibit or even run with us.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!