Re: Heat, Smell, and Drip

Scott Richardson wrote:

> If I drive my '86 8V for more than a few minutes a few things start to
> happen. First of all, there is a smell coming from the engine. It's not
> very strong, but it is almost like a burning smell. It's hard to
> describe because I've never smelled anything like it before. Like I
> said, it's not too strong but it's noticeable if the windows are closed.
> Second, there is some heat coming from the console even when the heat is
> turned off. I can feel it coming out of the middle vents and from behind
> the stereo. Third thing, when I shut the car off there is a dripping
> noise coming from inside the engine. All of the hoses are fine and
> nothing is leaking onto the ground. My oil level is fine so I don't
> think that it's leaking But there is a tiny bit of oil on the outside of
> the engine. Could this be what's causing the smell? Also, none of the
> cluster lights come on so it doesn't seem to be overheating. Anyway,
> some help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
>
> Scott Richardson
> '86 8V Scirocco

Scott,

You may have a leaking heater core. You should check the coolant level
and monitor it to see if it is dropping low over time. The smell from
coolant is sometimes described as sweet in nature because it shares the
same family as glucose and other sugars. (Sept it's poisons ).

Do your windows fog up way too easy? This is another sign. I'm not for
sure because it's moistly a Mk2 thing but there may be a recall for
this, you can take your VIN to the dealer and find out. In fact get a
second dealer's opinion as some (being human) don't care enough to get
you the real info.

hth,
TBerk