[non-roc] timing on my subaru

Hey ladies and gents... My carbureted subaru has been bucking off and on
again ever since I got it.

It only sems to start bucking when I set off on long trips, too. When it
bucks, it loses lots of power and the fastest I can go on the highway is
about 30. Not fun.

I thought I was convinced that it was a rusty gas tank plugging up the
lines, but when I was screwing around one day with the timing, I adjusted it
to 8 degrees before (instead of the 4 degrees before like it's supposed to
be). And it runs really good like that.

Question is: Am I hurting the car in any way by doing this?

I'm not getting knocking, and the car seems quicker..

I only ask, because I'm going on a five-hour trip to Ithaca, NY this
weekend.. I don't wanna have a fucked up engine in the middle of nowhere.

I figured some of you may know since the air-cooled boxers are the same
basic engine as my subaru's...

Thanks mucho,
-Dave
'81 Scirocco 16v (BUY ME)