maximum ignition timing for JH 8V motor

What are the 8 valvers out there running for ignition timing (stock CR and
ignition?)  I'm experimenting with advancing the ignition timing from the
recommended 6 degrees BTDC and I'm wondering just how far people have
gone.  I run regular gas (10% maximum ethanol blend, actually, but it's 89
octane.)

Also, although I believe the issue has been raised before, I don't
remember there having been a response to it:  is there any noticeable
benefit to installing a knock sensor ignition on a stock JH motor?  It
would seem to me that it would allow for more initial advance (stock is
10-12 degrees, depending on year?) while offering protection from pinging.
WOuld I be able to advance the initial timing further than 12 degrees on
the lower compression JH, and if so, at what point does too much advance
come into play?  Has anyone installed a knock box on a stock JH with
K-Jetronic (ie not installing CIS-E along with the knock ignition.)  If
so, how did you account for the fact that the knock box requires full
and closed-throttle switches and the k-jet requires a full-throttle switch
for fuel enrichment?

Thanks for any input.

Drew

-84 Wolfsburg Daily Driver while the diesel is under the knife
(and another 84 just hanging around watching and waiting)

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca