Re: Motronic Conversion Done Right

>    hey animal, i'm feverishly putting my mk1 back together so that it'll be
>my chariot to cinci.  by the looks of it, it **will* be done, and i will
>still have the time to actually learn how to drive it (it's been 9 long
>months since the 16V was last run, and since then, it's seen a new head, new
>clutch/lightened flywheel, and a completely new body!

Maybe you could call up Jim and give him a few suggestions on how to get
his act together and slam his 16v 'vert back together. :)

>    anyways, i figure that's been at least 3 months since i've been on the
>list, shooting my mouth off, and making challenges.  well, here i am, and
>i'm challenging you to a rematch.  you've got your motronic and garret chip,
>and a set of schricks.

And you've got at least 200 pounds less (probably closer to 300) and a
3.89 final drive...

>    myself, i'm looking at a lightened flywheel, new TT exhaust, with a race
>header (still not certain if it's going to fit or not) and a mk1 rocco body
>instead of a mk1 jetta.
>
>    whaddya think?  i think that, like the first time, i'm gonna getcha.
>tho, this time, unlike the last time, there won't be any question about it.

I think you probably will also, as I've heard that mostly stock 1.8L 16v's
with a 3.89 or 3.94 are able to totally school stock 2L 16v's.  With you're
ported head, header, TT exhaust, lightened flywheel, lightened car, and that
sweet 3.89 I'm sure it'll make up for any HP advantage I might have over
you.  But I've got the fix. :)  I'm putting in a 3.94 myself, won't be
before cincy, but soon.  That'll put me on par with your performance, but
I'm pretty sure it'll be better.  Oh yeah. :}

>    and mr. larsen, i can't wait to make your acquaintence.  i see that
>you're running a 14.2 at the track.  i don't really want to start talking
>trash here, cuz that's the time that i was aiming for.  i'm merely going to
>say that we have to find a quiet place and have a quick couple of runs and
>then get lost before anyone knows that we're there.  and then we'll see
>what's up.

Having never done any timed 1/4's myself, I've plugged my numbers into
a few programs and gotten sub 15's, but nowhere near a 14.  The Mk1 Scirocco
is the hot ticket due to lower weight, and we all know it.  Don't get me
wrong, if we've got the opprutunity, we'll run. :)

>    with a bit of luck, i'll be able to get a couple of runs in at the local
>1320 before we head down to cinci, but if not, i'll learn how to drive on
>the way down. :)

You'll tell us all about it I'm sure... :-)

>    anyone else feel like breaking some rules down at daun's?

Speaking of activities, what do people have lined up for tech procedures?
I'm think of saving up a front motor mount...my previous HD TT one is
a bit whipped and I've got a new TT unit to plug in.

>jason
>the mad bastard

later dude!  Good luck getting the car back together, I hope you make it.

==Brett