Help with `82 Scirocco please!

I have recently purchased a 1982 VW Scirocco.  It sat for three years
without a gas cap, so the tank was full of rust. After getting it home I
changed the tank,fuel pump,fuel filter,warm up regulator, and checked the
injectors for blockage, but it just won't idle.
   When you turn the key, it won't fire until you pump the gas,then
you have to keep pumping it or it will die.  It carries on like that
until it gets warm, then sometimes it will idle.  But, if i rev the
engine ,it will immediatly die.
As long as you are giving it gas it runs really strong but it won't idle at
all at stoplights.
Does any one out there know what is wrong with my sick little car?
Will someone share the answer?
Thank you